Sick of feeling sick and nauseous,and not looking blooming lovely
Try these handy tips to reduce your symptoms
Morning sickness should really be renamed to all day sickness as many women have it morning, noon and night! 50-80% of women worldwide suffer from sickness and nausea during their pregnancy. That is a huge amount of new mums to be not able to fully enjoy their pregnancy as all they can do is hug the toilet. At the moment i have quite a few mums i am supporting with morning sickness and hyperemysis in my acupuncture practice, and my chats and advice given to them has inspired this list.
To kick start the list
- Eat little and often. Bet you are fully expecting me to tell you to eat healthy but you know what.. if all you can manage is ready salted crisps and full fat flat cola so be it. The main thing is you have food in your stomach and you are getting fluids down you.
- Avoid dehydration. Sip water regularly, starting as soon as you wake up, start with small sips, allow it to settle before getting up. Fluids are important to keep our body hydrated and becoming dehydrates comes with its own horrid symptoms so we want to avoid that.
- Acupressure, you can use the sickness bands on your wrists. Location is important, so many times they are miles off from where they should be. Use your index finger for measurements. Place nail on inner wrist crease and where your knuckle is is where the point lies in between the two tendons. Make sure the bands are nice and tight, or if you are using acupressure apply pressure for 1-2 minutes each side, as and when needed.
- Ginger helps settle stomachs and 1 tbs of grated ginger in one cup of boiled water, steep for 10 minutes before straining can make a wonderful stomach soothing drink. Drink 1-2 cups on a morning. Or you may prefer ginger pop or ginger nut biscuits.
- Aromatherapy: 1-2 drops of Lemon essential oil on a handkerchief, or you can use fresh lemon peels to ease sickness and nausea.
- Fresh air. Sometimes being in a stuffy house or office a bit of fresh air can do wonders. Particularly useful in smelly offices.
- Rest. Your body tells you when you need to rest and nausea and sickness can be one of those signs your body uses to tell you to slow down, you are doing enough, wow you are growing a human or two…
- Distraction can be a useful tool if you can manage it.
- ASK FOR HELP
As an acupuncturist and mum of 4 i want to do everything in my power to enable women to enjoy their journey to motherhood, creating a positive journey by taking positive nurturing actions when the need arises.
Dragonfly Acupuncture Leeds
Follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Instagram search for Dragonfly Acupuncture Leeds